It is essential that your air ducts are cleaned on a regular basis because they help air to travel through your home. If your air ducts are not clean, not only does it stop the flow of clean air, but it can also cause family members, and animals to get sick. Here are five signs it’s time to have your air ducts cleaned.
- Everyone Gets Sick at the Same Time: Sinus problems and allergies are a sign that you’ve got dirty air ducts. When the dirt builds up in the air ducts, it starts releasing allergens and large amounts of dust into the house. Symptoms may also include, itchy throats, watery eyes, sniffing and itchy eyes. It is important that the problem is dealt with swiftly to prevent further health issues.
- A Bad Smell When the System is Turned On: If you smell something unusual when your system is turned on, when the air duct is turned on automatically or when it is running, you may have a problem with your system. It could be an indication that mold has built up and it is being blown out into the house through the air vents. There is also the possibility that there could be something else wrong with the air ducts. However, you can start by cleaning the air ducts, if that doesn’t resolve the problem, then you will need to call in a professional to have them assess your system for other issues.
- A High Energy Bill: When your energy bill keeps increasing, it may mean that your air ducts are clogged up. When there is an excessive amount of build-up, it means that the system is forced to work harder to push the air out. The longer it is left, the worse the problem becomes. Therefore, you will need to clean the air ducts as soon as possible.
- Any Kind of Mold: If you start seeing black or green mold around your air ducts it mean that moisture is building up around your system and you need to get it cleaned immediately. Breathing in mold causes several health problems and can make other conditions such as asthma worse. Air duct systems are moist and dark which is the perfect breeding ground for mold, and when there is a restriction in airflow, mold will start building up. When you see mold, it is important to act fast so that it doesn’t spread to other parts of the system.
- Visible Dust or Dirt: If you can see dust or dirt blowing out of your system, there is probably a lot of build up in there and your air duct system is blowing dust into your home. If you are always dusting furniture, or there is a constant pile of dust over the counters and tabletops, or you are always vacuuming, it’s a sign that your air ducts need cleaning.
Now that you are aware of the signs that indicate your air ducts need cleaning, it’s important that you hire one of the few professional duct cleaning companies to get them cleaned immediately. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get and you are putting the people who live in your home at risk.